ITS STORM SEASON AGAIN!
The most important things to remember are:
- GET IN – If you are outside, get inside. If you’re already inside, get as far into the middle of the building as possible.
- GET DOWN – Get underground if possible. If you cannot, go to the lowest floor possible.
- COVER UP – Flying and falling debris are a storm’s number one killer. Use pillows, blankets, coats, helmets, etc to cover up and protect your head and body from flying debris.
Are You Storm Ready?
First…is your storm shelter rid of creepy crawlies you would rather not share your space with?
Now is the time evict them.
Here is a basic list to help you be storm ready.
At the very least have
* A light source, candles, flash light and plenty of extra batteries etc.
*Any medications you can’t go without
*First aid kit
Other items you might want to have stored in your storm shelter
A DISASTER SUPPLY KIT SHOULD INCLUDE:
* A 3-day supply of water
(one gallon per person per day), food that won’t spoil and a can opener
* One change of clothing and footwear per person
* One blanket or sleeping bag per person
* Emergency tools
* Portable radio
* Battery-powered NOAA Weather Radio
* Special items for infant, elderly, or disabled family members.
* Keep ready an extra set of car keys, a credit card and/or cash.
Do you have an Emergency Plan?
Go over your emergency plan with your family
Public Storm Shelters are located in Vici below City Hall at 106 West Broadway and at the Town of Vici Maintenance Facility at 207 5th Street.
Weather radios are a great warning device and can be programmed to go off in which ever counties you choose.
This way you won’t be woken up by warnings that do not include your area.
Pay attention to weather reports, even if you feel it wont affect us, storms can fire up quickly and take you off guard.
A Watch means the conditions are right for possible severe weather in our area
A Warning means a tornado or funnel cloud has been spotted.
Be prepared and stay safe!